It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:10 pm
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: End of the WoW Factor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:19 am 
Site Founder

We've recently updated our WoW Factor main page to highlight that the project is officially no longer operational. The update was rather brief, so I wanted to add a little more clarification here.

This probably doesn't come as much of a surprise to those who've followed the WoW Factor from the early days, as it's now been over a year since our last event. We initially planned to take a break for a few months after Mists of Pandaria was released, to allow for everybody to focus on exploring the new content, and to give us time to bring WoWRoleplayGear up to date with the expansion. The plan was to introduce a WoW Factor Season 2 early in 2013, but sadly that wasn't possible.

We received a few very generous offers for event funding in late 2012-early 2013, but I wanted to be sure that we had a substantial number of dedicated sponsors lined up before I would commit to opening Season 2. We updated our pages to state that we were seeking sponsors, but while there was a lot of requests for events, few were willing to sponsor, partly due to the many new gold sinks in MoP.

The judges have funded events when able, and many generous individuals donated vast sums of gold, and real currency, to provide prizes for our events throughout 2012. It has never been our intent to beg for sponsorship to run the WoW Factor, and the judges had an understanding from the beginning that the project would be allowed to expire naturally when interest dried up. As such, we decided to simply postpone the beginning of Season 2 until we had at least half a dozen events firmly secured for the future.

Roll on a few more months and there still wasn't too much interest. Ironyca, Elvine and myself had a brief chat during the summer, and unanimously agreed that it was time to pull the plug on the project. From our perspective, life has been extremely busy for Ironyca and I outside of WoW, and as such WoWRoleplayGear has suffered. The WoW Factor took up a huge amount of our time, with all of the planning and documenting, let alone the events themselves. Given the relative lack of interest in the WoW Factor, it seemed logical to let the project go, and focus what little free time we have on our site.

So, that's it for the WoW Factor, I'm afraid! We had a great time while the project ran, and on behalf of all of the team I'd like to thank everybody who participated along the way, the sponsors, the guest judges, those who advertised the events, and of course, those who came along to show off their outfits/watch the events! We'll be keeping all of the WoW Factor articles up on the site as a record of the many fantastic transmogs we saw through the 24 shows.

Tl;dr: The WoW Factor is officially finished. We lacked sponsorship interest and have little time ourselves to run the events. Huge thanks to every one who was involved in the project!

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:45 pm 
Mog Stylist

It's a shame I was a little late to the party for WoW Factor. Part of it having to do with availability during the show times, and part of it due to not hearing about it until towards the end of its run. Honeypants told me all about a couple of the events in detail. Seeing the post-event round up also made it look like a lot of fun.

The three of you, plus all of the sponsors, really brought something unique to World of Warcraft, the likes of which will not likely be seen again. Thank you for all the hard work you did bringing it to fruition. I hope that if another project similar to it arises, that you'll all be there.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:45 am 
Clown Suit

Then it hit me a lot to us.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:08 pm 
Clown Suit

I hope that if another project similar to it arises, that you'll all be there.

OfflineProfile
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]